Tuesday 26 June 2012

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Image from Here

When I was growing up, at various times I wanted to be a librarian, an author, a vet or a journalist. And these are the only ones i remember. I never planned on being a stay at home mum (SAHM) or even a work at home mum (WAHM). In fact my plan had been to return to work, doing finance in the Public Sector, when Boy Child was six months old. But then life got in the way. Still, I went back to work only slightly later than expected when Boy was about six and a half or seven months old. Although it was only part time, I had a job I mostly enjoyed where people listened to my opinions. I was more than just a Mum.

I worked part time until he was about three. I then worked full time while studying part time for a year. My last uni assignment was handed in late due to the all day, every day morning sickness due to Girl Child being on the way. Due to the morning sickness I had to work reduced hours for a few months. But I still felt useful. When I went on maternity leave with Girl Child I planned to go back to work at 18 months and I did. But the section I worked in was undergoing changes which resulted in staff leaving, work being redistributed and after 6 months my section had only 2 staff. So I quit.

Since then (and a bit before) I have been working at home, doing finance. It's something I fell into and apparently have an aptitude for. Along the way I have been employed for 3 years as a treasurer for a community organisation and spent 4 months doing finance for an organisation that dealt with children in care.

I was reading this post over at Home Life Simplified. It seems that I'm not the only one contemplating the future and the possibility of a working life outside of home. The thing is though, I don't know what I want to be. Unlike Deb, I don't have a plan.

I still want to write but i know I need to devote time to it. I want to make a difference in people's lives but I know I wouldn't make a good social worker. My time with the organisation dealing with kids showed me that some things are just too close to home.

I'm not sure where this navel gazing is leading me. But I wonder if I had my time again whether I would make different decisions or be less influenced by other peoples ideas about what was good for me. I wonder if its too late to work out what I want to be?

Did you become any of the things you wanted to be when you were younger? Do you regret it if you didn't follow your dreams?


I hope that as my children grow up I can support their dreams and aspirations. Who knows, maybe one day there will be a doctor and singer in my family.

 

2 comments:

Leanne @ Deep Fried Fruit said...

It is never ever too late to start fresh. It's never too late to decide what you want to be. I work with people all the time on finding their joy and creating their legacy. It's within reach E ...

Renee | About a Bugg said...

I don't think it's ever too late to chase a dream. My mother in law is a prime example, at 56 is retraining to be a hairdresser. Something she always wanted to do.

Me? Well, at 30 I still have no idea what I want to do with my life, but I know that I am pretty lucky to have lots of options available to me.

Good luck - can't wait to see where life leads you next.

 

Copyright 2011 Whining at the World | Powered by Blogger | Designed by Carly Lloyd Designs